Tuesday, April 01, 2008

#70 - Dining at the Top of Walt Disney World

When I envisioned this meal for the List, I never thought it would be at Walt Disney World. Becky and I left the boys with their grandparents while we went to the California Grill atop the Contemporary Resort on the Seven Seas Lagoon overlooking the Magic Kingdom.  The setting was gorgeous with an open-air kitchen and large windows looking out over Walt Disney World.  It is one of several five-star restaurants located on the property.

For our apppetizer, we shared the Triple Cheese, Pecorino, Asiago, Provolone Flatbread with sun-dried tomatoes and basil pesto which was a delicious start.  Then I had the Seared Jumbo Day Boat Scallops with farro risotto, roasted wild mushrooms, and banyuls reduction for my entree while Becky had the Oak-fired Filet of Beef with cheese orecchiette pasta gratin, sauteed asparagus, and teriyaki BBQ sauce.  We each took about half of our respective dishes and traded so we could both have some of everything.  I preferred the scallops which were perfectly seared, but the filet was excellent also. While I loved my risotto, I could have eaten a whole bowl of Becky's cheese orecchiette pasta gratin, which was effectively the best macaroni and cheese I've ever had. For dessert we did the same divide and conquer routine to share a Warm Chocolate Cake with molten center with blood orange sorbet and raspberry reduction and the Inspired by "The Year of a Million Dreams" Honey Crunch Cake with chantilly cream, oven-roasted golden pineapple and crunch candy crumble.

Afterwards we took a walk on a railed section of the roof accessible from the restaurant and took in the sunset over the lagoon and let our meal settle before enjoying the rest of our evening.  It was a wonderful meal and one we'd love to repeat.  We'd like to also thank Becky's parents for the opportunity to be at Walt Disney World and their significant contibution to the cost of the meal through the Disney Dining Plan.

No comments: